Real Name: Walter Carl Wenke
Aliases: No Known Aliases
Wanted For: Fraud
Missing Since: April 1978
Details: During the 1970s, San Diego attorney Walter Wenke purchased companies with little assets or business and sold stock in them. He then transferred money from those companies to his, and stole millions of dollars. In April of 1978, he was convicted of mail fraud charges in those cases, but vanished while free on bail.
Extra Notes: The case was featured as a part of a special alert in the February 22, 1989 episode, along with Ronald Denslow.
Some sources spell his last name as "Wencke".
Results: Wanted. According to a 2003 article, Wenke was never caught. Due to the passage of time, it can be assumed that he has since passed away. If still alive, he would be ninety-four.
- Walter Wenke on postalinspectors.gov
- Walter Wenke on U.S. Marshals
- Fruit accountant indicted by SEC
- Is Wencke Enjoying Last Laugh, Or Starting New Firms?
- San Diego's Strange Characters Make It Fraud's Court Jester
- Securities and Exchange Commission v. Walter Wencke
- United States v. Wencke