Real Name: John "Jack" Purvis
Date: November 8, 1983
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Details: In November 1983, Susan Hamwi was found murdered in her Fort Lauderdale home. With her death, her infant daughter died of dehydration. The crime was so cold that police rushed to make an arrest and eventually tied John Purvis, a friend of Susan's to the crime. John, however, swears to his innocence and begs that the case not be closed without finding Susan's real killer.
Extra Notes: This case first aired as an update on the March 10, 1993 episode.
Results: Solved. After serving ten years for the murders, John was released after two men named Robert Deckert and Paul Serio were implicated in the crime after revealing that they had been hired by Susan's ex-husband, Paul Hamwi. John Purvis' Mother, Emma Bartlett passed away in 2006.
- Jack Purvis on Wikipedia
- Jack Purvis on the National Registry of Exonerations
- Purvis Guilty In Deaths Of Mother, Child
- Jurors Oppose Death Sentence In Murder Case
- Wrong Man Held 9 Years Free At Last
- Man Imprisoned 9 Years in Killing Is Freed as 2 Suspects Are Found
- Man freed after wrongly imprisoned for nine years
- Ex-husband, Hit Man Get Life
- Emma Jo Bartlett Obituary